Monday, September 10, 2007

The big day!

Today I showed my film. I am always a little scared, because all the other documentaries always seem so complex and complete to me, but it was a great success. The Q&A session at each of the screenings, especially the second one, was very good, and people showed a real interest in the process of the making of Casting, and my own feelings about the film.

The second screening, in a small cinema, was sold out and they used a very interesting way of translating: they lowered the volume of the film and in the back of the room a girl was reading the meaning of what was being said along with the film over the speaker system. She did a terrific job. The film at times is a quick succession of phrases, and I could tell the live-translator was out of breath a few times. After the screening, the first thing that came to mind was to ask the audience for an applause for her.

Great experiences are about the people you meet, and I think this is the warmest and most interesting and hospitable festival I have been at. It is truly terrific, and it makes one want to make a film designed just to be able to return next year, and the year after. I met a well-known Dutch filmmaker called Rob Rombout, who is giving some master classes, and it's his fifth time here! He even made a documentary film about it a few years ago. It's called PermMission.

In fact, I was thinking, it's nice to come to a place like Perm, instead of Moscow or St. Petersburgh. You get the real experience here, people aren't used to visitors and hence aren't trained to tell you what you want to hear. It feels authentic.

Today we were having lunch with eight directors and one of the translators (we have to know what we are eating, obviously) and she suddenly asked: "Are you all professional directors?" I asked what she meant by "professional" and she said: "Do you have a diploma?" (I don't, I have to admit).

It gives one a glimpse of an eroding yet very present notion from the Soviet era: the need to have a stamped paper confirming your status. Although the festival staff (as they always seem to be) are all very young and don't remember the Soviet days, their use of the words "supervisor" and "administrator" (referring to those who decide, or one needs to refer a question to) is very present.

Tomorrow a few of us are going to skip class like little school children and escape to do some shopping. You're thinking: black plastic suits with grey turtle-neck sweaters, but no. The local speciality is silver and gems (and salt, but we have that in Spain). I hope we don't get caught and punished by the administrator and the supervisor.

I also think that tomorrow I will finally be able to post some pictures. For now, I only have this one:


It's the plane we came in from Moscow. Solid Russian-made stainless steel straight from Flash Gordon (there's Queen again!). It felt very heavy when we took off, my legs didn't fit, and the stewardess looked like Wilma Flinstone... (and as is clear, I can't get over it - sad...)

More tomorrow.
K x

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now, although a cool picture, I am more impressed by you getting out of the plane in the middle of the flight to take it! How did you manage that?? I wasn't aware Dutch film directors could fly... Wow...

Agueda